C T N - Conversations Tailored to your Needs
Introduction to the method
Definition of CTN
- CTN - Conversations Tailored to
your Needs is a method based on
rhetorical questions according
to maieutics (used by Socrates
to reveal the knowledge of his
pupils) and helps communicating
to students at beginner levels a
concept they know of already in
their native language.
- At more
advanced levels, it is
reminiscent of the teacher
playing Sherlock Holmes or of a
journalist suggesting more or
interpretations in order to
obtain an anticipated reaction
from their interlocutor.
- 'Conversations Tailored to your
Needs' is similar to many
other methods, firstly in the
use of questions (e.g. concept checking questions - aka CCQ in CELTA),
and thus is
complementary to more
traditional ones. What happens
to these questions later (thanks
to the use of SCB) is the
strength of our offer.
Definition of SCB
- SCB - Stimulating Conversation
Book is a set of customised
templates where layout emphasises instant
visual access to information
necessary for both teachers and
students (wide margins on both
sides for jotting down notes,
numbering of sentences, 1 page =
approx.1 teaching hour, etc).
- The suffix of an SCB refers to
its contents and level, e.g.
SCB/S2 stands for Stanag level
2 (Standardised NATO agreements on language skills), SCB/CE5 - Conversational
English at upper intermediate
- Each SCB is therefore the
result of a teacher's
preparation for individual needs
at fairly advanced levels with
articles from the press, or,
more usually, the written record
of conversations with students
during the lessons thanks to the
use of a laptop.
Definition of PTEC
Presentation Techniques under the Eye of the Camera
follows up linguistic & communication skills praised by the CTN & SCB formula; the 15-hr long course helps identifying misleading signals & linguistic lacks and encourages positive communication habits.
- Focus is placed on a more efficient use of the language, and not necessarily on some direct improvement of it; better communication is achieved thanks to various narrative styles that demonstrate communication skills may be enhanced without an advanced understanding of the language.
- Assessment of a candidate's needs become corporeal by the analysis of his/her presentation on video, while progress & anticipated professional constraints are evidenced by the analysis of a second presentation on video.
- A prime element of CTN lessons
is the pertinent use of
available human resources; SCB
is a set of templates which
allows users, whether
specialists of public tenders,
insurance packages, or teachers
keen on music and cinema, to
share their knowledge to the
benefit of all in a reusable
- The SCB format allows the use of
virtually any company brochure,
leaflet or promotional material
by breaking down the contents
and using synonyms adapted to
the levels of students. In
short, even a pre-intermediate,
English-speaking employer can
learn how to describe his
company fairly accurately.
- Generally speaking, CTN is a
method resulting in the tangible
output of an SCB (public
institution or company-oriented
hardcopy of conversation
conventional course books.
- The tourism & language project
Be My Guest
was initially designed for EU Leonardo funding; it illustrates some potential implementations of CTN and SCB to satisfy little viable language market niches on an international scale.
- CTN - and more particularly
prepares for briefings, business
presentations, lectures, and
Public Relations-oriented tasks.
Taking for granted that learning
English, for example, is to
communicate with people of a
different background, experience
shows that the language is
actually less important than the
ability to paragraph thoughts.